Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Update and some random thoughts...

So its been a while since my last post, time get things rolling again...

Since the Stevens race, we have been rather busy. Great news is we have picked up 3 women riders since then. At this rate we will have more women riders than men, by the end of the season. Its always good to have more women riders, you can never have too many female friends as my womanizing uncle puts it...

Our season is going pretty well, our D2 team is racking up points on a regular basis. Some are talking about moving up to C soon, which would help me out a whole lot. Personally, I have not really done as well as i thought. I really have just had a string of bad luck. My season started well on Feb. 28 in the cat. 4 race in Prospect Park. Felt strong the whole race, took a few pulls and even attacked the field. I ended up finished top 15 in a large 85 man field. Since then it has been downhill...

Week 1 at Rutgers I crashed out of the circuit race w/ 3 laps to go, The following week,I avoided a crash at Grants Tomb. Avoiding that crash caused me to end up in the back of the pack and wound up being spit out. I couldnt race at Stevens due to a lingering injury from the previous crash. Then at Delaware, I just didn't feel well and had no motivation to race, naturally I DNF'd twice and had a subpar TT. I had a family commitment on Saturday, so no Philly for me. I had my bike tuned up(it really needed it and was a big factor in my recent DNFs) and got to do some training. I feel much better now and ready to really let it rip at West Point.

All this training and racing has gotten me thinking about the whole training program idea. Mainly why most USAC racer i know follow Friels training bible to the letter. Many of my masters on my club team say, March races are C races. Or, I am trying to peak in June for the masters road race. The current trend is to do 'periodization' for some 'goal' later in the season. Everything else is 'training' or preparation. But aren't all races 'A' priority? If they weren't why would people show up? I personally want to do well in all my races, yes I do have long term goals for the season. But should one train to race, not race to train? I haven't seen much of this in the ECCC, but all the USAC racers I know seem to talk this way. I think I may use that as an excuse if I don't do well this weekend. (I got this idea from a fellow ECCCer, I will buy you a beer if you can figure out who ;))

Also, I have been racing on a borrowed frame. My old bike was a Trek Madone, who is now residing in my apartment. If you must now, the frame cracked after some a misunderstanding w/ an opening car door. It's ok though, I won the argument as the said door no longer functions properly. Either way, I am now borrowing my teammates old frame for racing. I got good news yesterday, I have a substantial refund check coming from Stevens. The exact number is not important, what is important is that I now have enough working capital to invest in a new machine. I've had my heart set on a Specialized Tarmac SL2 ever since I saw the commercial for it.
Well, I may not be able to afford that particular model but I am open to suggestions. Maybe a BMC like my teammated Ray or a another Trek. I don't know yet, maybe I should use my coming money to pay some bills or put money towards my first car...nah I think I should stick w/ a new bike. Priorities are priorities are priorities...

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure you got the train to race, not race to train from Will Hilsman

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it, I know Will and follow his blog. I felt he made a good point...I'll be sure to check out velovanity when i get the chance..

    ReplyDelete